Sharp Shooting

4:36 PM

I've decided to let my camera do the some work for me and I am ok with that!  You should be, too, you know why?  Well, because I already have enough to tend to from the moment I pick up the camera to the moment I put it down, which, during a session, I never really want to (and I love it).  Throughout my studies in a photography course, it was ingrained in me to use EVERYTHING in manual mode; no auto dial, no auto iso, no auto focus, no auto anything.  Progressively, the more I shot, the more I started noticing that my work was suffering due to my suffering eyesight.  How can I possibly focus manually if I can't see what I'm focusing on?  I mean, if my vision is already blurry, my images would certainly not be as sharp as I would like them to be.  Even utilizing the tools in-camera, like the focus Peaking, helped very little. 

Creatively, I love to have full control of all of the controls.  Discovering back-button focus was like the ice cream on the cake (yes, I really meant to say ice cream ;-)  Initially, my mission was to learn how to shoot fast and efficiently; with intent, if you will.  I learned this term from one of many online photographer-mentors (she doesn't really know it yet, lol) Jasmine Star, whom literally zips through wedding shots not only due to her experience in the field but because she uses AUTO focus.  Now, before scratching your head while you discern whether I am cheating or not, let me clarify.  I switch my lens to Autofocus, but I still had to find out how in the world to move my focal points on camera before deciding when to shoot.  Half-depressing the shutter didn't always work for me and when I discovered why, I was thrown for a loop; my focal point was waaaay off!  Am I the only one who thought those points picked themselves, depending on where I was aiming?! In comes one of my other mentors, Lindsay Adler, world-renown beauty and fashion photographer, (who is also unawares of my stalker-ish ways) and her very comprehensive 4 week Portrait photography bootcamp on CreativeLive.  One lesson a day, free to watch for 24 hrs, lessons repeat over the weekend.  When I say comprehensive, I mean, she breaks it down to the marrow, starting the boot camp with camera choices and types, cropping & composition and accessories.  The very second lesson of the first week was about lenses and focusing; man oh man, did she get down to the nitty gritty.  I learned how to move my focal points and also why. Eeeeek....can you just imagine my sheepish ..."oooooooh, I can change these boxes around my frame!" moment of clarity?!  I think I actually smacked my head in a total Homer Simpson action-- "D'oh" !  Its like-aim, point, shoot, next!  I am still in control but not wasting precious time winding the focus ring back and forth looking for the defined line.   The proof is in the pudding....(these are some test shots I took of one of my favorite subjects on location while waiting for my engagement clients) 

MODEL CRED: K. Noyille Aviles, NYC
















You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Glam Shoot: The Diva Got Legzzz

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest