Finding The Light

9:15 PM


As I prepare the space, I look for rustic beauty to lay in the background.  Even if these items may remain out of focus, I take the time to visualize a serene setting; one of comfort that spells "home away from home" while still actually being at home.  A set of pillar candles, a silver antique box with a latch, and a dried-rose arrangement, which beauty comes from the two-tone colors of yellow bulb with red tips!   These items are set, arranged and re-set carefully on a chocolate wooden cabinet.  Roses to the left....no, right....no, left again.  I drag the dining table into the kitchen and lug with it all six chairs just to clear the space and leave some room between me and my beauty queen, who is taking quiet a bit getting her makeup exactly how I had envisioned.  We discussed at length.  Its ok because while she obsesses, I obsess.  I adjust the tripod, set up the lights, cover the ottoman in an old curtain that blends really nicely with the scene.  I even take a test shot to make sure my DOF is right on mark.



I am now pacing back and forth; getting the lens out of the bag, do a little metering, then go back to the bag because I forgot to bring the 50mm with me....it feels like work and I love every minute. Opening the umbrella stand, plugging in the lights, finding the right position.  I am aiming to point soft light to just one side of her face, or in this case for the time being, the mannequin's face.  Time is ticking and I hear yelling from the bathroom-someone is ready!  Finally, as she is applying the jewelry, she sits on the floor directly across from my set up (the one that I took like 45 minutes to perfect lol), and I see the sun in her eyes.  It beams on her face in blazing glory, rendering her iris virtually invisible....all I can think about is how we, no I, need to to hurry because its almost sundown and if I don't capture this I will regret it.  With only the white background of my kitchen counter, we work.  My daughter is striking, even in her bashful nature.  The sun and her smile do a dance, this is the result.  












You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Glam Shoot: The Diva Got Legzzz

Like us on Facebook

Pinterest